Friday, February 3, 2012

Fitting Into My Lilly

I've been fighting the weight loss battle for years. It's been up and down and back up again as I try diets, exercise, etc. I was an athlete in junior high and high school, but then once my sports season was over or I decided to move on to the more "intellectual" end of things by joining the yearbook and newspaper, I wasn't getting the regular activity anymore. Once I moved on to college, my weight dropped like crazy (I know, I didn't put on the Freshman 15, or as we call it the Mizzou 22) because of how homesick I was. I dropped from my usual size 8 to a size 4 as a existed on goldfish crackers and diet coke. I don't recommend this diet. While I didn't see any issues in my diet, and I was happy with me "new body" the weight just came back on with a vengeance my sophomore year when I moved into the sorority house and had regular meals again.

The summer I turned 21, I dropped a few pounds and was back to my "normal" weight- right around a size 8 again. However, from my Junior year to know my weight just keeps climbing. It's been gradual to the point that I don't notice until I try to fit in clothes which fit the previous season. So now, I'm wearing a size 12 which is rather large for my petite frame. (I'm under 5'2") I knew I'd put on some weight, but the realization of just how much didn't hit until earlier this week.

I finally purchased my coveted Keetan Dress in Hotty Pink First Impression at a price I could justify. I bought it in a size 8 from a fellow Lilly-lover, the same size I tried on in a Via store in July that fit just fine. When it came in the mail and I tried it on, I found it to be VERY snug in the hips and I couldn't zip it up all the way. BIG PROBLEM! I had been hoping to wear this dress for Easter Sunday, but now I'm worried I can't drop the weight fast enough! This realization has me feeling more motivated to lose weight than I have been in a very long time- sometimes it takes a kick in the booty to get on the right track!

I've started using an iPhone app called "My Fitness Pal." I had a friend who used it in college, and several of the girls on Shifting Lilly have recommended it. So now, I'm doing my best to stick to a 1,200 calorie a day diet. Eating less fatty foods, more fruits and veggies, and more eating at home and less take-out. Working out has been very hard for me to be consistent with, but I've made the effort to work out the last two days! I have used my Zumba Fitness for the Wii to have fun while I work out, and I've done some minor weight lifting with push-ups, sit ups, etc. I know it won't be easy, but in order to be a better, healthier me- and fit into my Lilly- it's time to get serious about taking off the pounds!

Hopefully blogging about my efforts, as well as the support from my lovely Lilly-loving friends, will help me to be successful!

xx, Emily Ann

2 comments:

  1. I am doing ww so I don't look like shamu wearing Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My weight loss/gain story is actually kinda similar to yours! I was an 8 for a long time and suddenly found myself in a 12 over the summer and was NOT happy with this realization! I started using mfp and am actually back to an 8 as of august or september...it's the BEST! Between working and school I had zero time for the gym, but I found that by just being very strict about keeping track of my calorie intake (I was almost obsessive) that I could still be successful..although going to the gym definitely helps! It's definitely hard at times, but it gets easier and it's so worth it!!! Good luck!
    -Lily :)

    ReplyDelete